NeoCASS is also available as a stand alone matlab suite and publish under GNU’s GPL 2.1 on his dedicated website.
NeoCASS is a numerical analysis tool particularly suited to conceptual and preliminary design of aircraft. Its main purpose is to enhance these early design phases with details regarding bearing airframe which is usually poorly represented by the structural weight coming from empirical formulas. Indeed, the software helps the designer to dimension the structure of the aircraft under development and to investigate its aeroelastic behaviour by means of structural and aerodynamic numerical methods having physical basis. Thus, statistical formulas, usually characterized by poorness of details and accuracy, are overcome so that the code can be used to design innovative and uncommon aircraft layouts.
The code is completely written in the MATLAB® environment and can be run both in batch or interactive mode by means of its Graphical User Interface (GUI). To accomplish the introduced tasks, NeoCASS provides two modules, GUESS and SMARTCAD with the following features:
- analytical structural sizing at different maneuvering flights and ground taxing coming from NASA-PDCYL code; this first solution is merely used as guess and starting point for the different numerical aeroelastic solvers
- structural optimization loop to satisfy user defined criteria (to be developed)
- linear/non-linear beam elements with distributed and lumped masses for efficient structural analyses of high-aspect ratio airframes
- linear equivalent plate elements with distributed and lumped masses for efficient structural analyses of low-aspect ratio airframes (not present in the current release)
- Vortex Lattice Method (VLM) for steady subsonic aeroelastic analyses developed starting from Tornado code
- Doublet Lattice Method (DLM) for oscillatory subsonic stability derivatives and Aerodynamic Influence Coefficients (AIC) matrix calculation required for flutter assessment
- Moving Least Squares (MLS) and Radial Basis Functions (RBF) spatial coupling methods for data transfer between non-matching structural and aerodyanamic meshes
- vibration modes solver (results are exported in FFA-format files for Edge CFD solver when high-fidelity aeroelasticity is required)
- flutter solver to efficiently assess flutter (and divergence) instabilities in the whole flight envelope
- static aeroelastic analyses for deformed flight shape calculation
NeoCASS can be used as a stand-alone application or inside a multi-disciplinary design environment.
NeoCASS can be used to provide preliminary details (such as stiffness and mass distribution, global weight) about the aiframe and its static and dynamic aeroelastic behaviour.